Today we went to Purula- we would be serving the same beautiful community we helped last year on our last day- the one we could only get to on the back of sturdy pick up trucks- straight up the side of a mountain- but because of severe rains the community was heavily damaged and it was either impossible to get us and the equipment there, or the buildings we would use were damaged- we were told it was easier for them to bring the community to us.
Our clinic was set up in Williams’ school/church buildings, our most comfortable accommodations yet.
The clinic day was uneventful mostly except for 2 women. The first woman, was one I had seen last year and gave her a back brace for her back pain. She thanked me because it was so helpful for her this past year. She asked for another one because hers was now all stretched out, but I didn’t have one to give- it wasn’t one of the donations we received. She also wanted to make sure her black eye was ok, a recent gift from her husband for staying at the market too long. She has been married for 24 years, he has always beat her. He tells her she is stupid and kicks her out of the house along with their children regularly. She tells us she goes to her sisters house until she is summoned back briefly for food and sex- and a beating. She told the police only once -5 years ago- he was put in prison for 1 month and when he returned she paid for it. Saying I felt helpless would be an understatement. At the end of the visit, we patted arms as is the custom here, but I wanted to pull her in and hold her. Williams and his staff will keep an eye on her and her family. The other woman had been married for 6 years and has not been able to have children because of fibroids. She came to me for fertility treatments. I explained I was not able to provide that for her, but she continued- maybe there was some medicine or tea or injection I could give her. I’m sorry I said. Maybe I knew of the name of a medicine she should try to get from the pharmacy. I’m sorry I said. Exercises? Food? she asked. I could offer her vitamins- and a prayer.
She is saving money to go to Coban to see a specialist, but it’s so much money. She is so sad. I wonder if she is being abused too because she is barren.
Sigh.
Though these 2 noteworthy cases are very sad, there were lots of joys in clinic today too- fetal heartbeats and gentle jokes about all the coffee they drink.
I had fun with Jess, my Eng to Spanish translator this week- whom I met last year and have stayed in touch through Facebook. She is a beautiful person inside and out. Jess’ sister lives in Chicago and so she has applied for permanent residency in the US 5 years ago and is still waiting. I hope she is approved someday soon. I’d love to show her around. ❤️
No comments:
Post a Comment