Saturday, April 14, 2018

Our Journey Begins

Saturday April 14
I am so excited and feel especially thankful to be able to make this trip for the second time. I am sitting in a quiet bus- circa 1980 coachliner,  on our way to the hotel. We woke at 3am this morning to be at the Airport by 4- so we could board our first plane to Miami at 6.  Most of my companions are sleeping or in a travel day funk, so now is a good time to start my journaling. It feels so comfortable to be with this team again- they are the kindest, most selfless group you’d every be lucky enough to spend time with. We are, as a whole, more physically challenged this year, several team members have had recent health issues, a few of them orthopedic and so we are moving a bit slower than last year.  Mentally however- they are just as committed as last year and I have no doubts we’ll get through this week just fine.
I have a few people to thank.. actually a LOT of people to thank- Christian -you are the most supportive husband and best friend a girl could ever ask for. For all you have done and will do this week to make this work- thank you and I love you.  To my mom and dad (in law) who have always made me feel like their own - and who will be helping to hold down the fort this week in Willoughby. To the ladies of Willoughby Junior Women’s Club who helped fund and assemble the birthing kits I am bringing with me- to Dave and Lisa Stephenson who donated many string backpacks (and shipped them from Texas)that the midwives here will keep their birthing kits in. To Grace Episcopal Church who made a generous donation to our cause- for the remainder of the cost of the birthing kits and a little left over to help with our meds and supplies. For many dear friends who donated money and used eyeglasses and ziplock bags for our kits (Thanks Jamie). I thank all of you from the bottom of my heart. Our work here is real and it’s meaningful and it’s been the most awe inspiring thing I’ve been a part of besides my family.
We have a few more hours in this bus . I’m looking forward to stretching my legs, sharing our first meal together- and getting a good nights rest.
To my boys- Thanks for putting up with me. Remember you should go through life giving more than you take- I love you guys sooooooo much!

No comments:

Post a Comment