Saturday, April 21, 2018

Happy Hump Day

Happy Hump Day! 

I actually beat one of my roommates out of bed this morning. Not sure how that happened. Anyways- got to the dining room to begin my multiple trips to the coffee pot ritual- the staff knows me now- I hope their spanish greeting to me is complementary.😬
The trip up the mountains was uneventful and still just as beautiful- I remind myself I will never complain about the potholes in Cleveland again. 
We are at a different community today, but one that we went to last year. El Esfuerzo. There were definite improvements to the school- an awning over one of the buildings, better drainage ditches. Something about the football (soccer) field looks different, but I can’t put my finger on it. The effect of Fundinors efforts are evident. The Fundinor volunteers and the villagers have good rapport. Williams and his staff have been working so hard this week and without complaint or martyrdom.   Inspiring people. 
I had no special clinic patients ( though arguably they are ALL special). Instead of 25 pts like Monday and Tuesday, today was only 15. Not sure if it was the heat or something else- but definitely not as busy today. The thing that did strike me is there were only 2 people today that said they drink water or Agua pura. Everyone else drank Cafe or Corn water/mush. One 16 year old drank only Coca Cola because it was sold at the Tienda and he knew it wouldn’t make him sick. What he didn’t know until today was he was a diabetic now because of it. Talk about Groundhog Day- everyone had headache, dizziness and stomach pain. More water, less coffee, and 30 days of Prilosec. And only 1 bottle of coke a week for my young man.  My English to Spanish translator was an adorable 16 year old young woman from Coban named Estefany . She was able to get out of school today for this opportunity to practice her English. If she was nervous, she didn’t show it. Her English was really really good- and her initial embarrassment of asking details about bodily functions and menstruation details quickly disappeared.  I loved working with her today - She was not sure if she would be back on Friday or not- it depended on getting her homework done. I’d love to write her teacher a message so she can get out school on Friday! 
The lack of patients was an opportunity to venture out of my classroom and see what the other crews were up to. I posted pictures on Facebook, so you’ll have to cross reference if you’re following this closely. 
I spent some time in the dental clinic. I’m trying to sensitize myself as I am still unable to watch an extraction without getting really queezy. If I pass out, I’ll never live it down. So I keep a safe distance. 
The slow clinic also meant we actually got out of the village and back to the motel before dark. 
Our devotions tonight were based on the idea of compassion. We performed a ceremonial foot washing for each other. This was out of my comfort zone but powerful and moving very humbling. It would be impossible to explain it here-so I won’t. Come find me next week if you want to hear about it,  and I’ll try my best.
We had time to sit outside and enjoy the sounds before bed. 
It was a very good day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment